As an affiliate, I may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
As an affiliate, I may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Imagine how peaceful life can be if you had the best quiet air compressor. Whether you are a DIY enthusiast or a garage Rockstar, you must spend a long time with noisy tools and a very noisy air compressor.
If you didn’t know that ‘quiet’ air compressors actually exist, then today is your lucky day. And if you know about them and are trying to figure out which is the best one then you are in the right place.
In this article, I will tell you everything you need to know about quiet air compressors. I will also share some of the best quiet air compressors in 2020.
Best Quiet Air Compressors in 2020
When looking for the best quiet air compressor you must consider some factors like:
- Noise level
- Tank Size
- Air compressor’s PSI
- Air compressor’s CFM
- Oil pump or Oil-free pump
Scroll down to read in detail about them in our buyer guide or skip the drill and take a look at some of the high performing, quietest air compressors in the market.
- California Air Tools 2010A (60 dB) 2-Gallon Air Compressor
- DEWALT D55140 Max Trim Compressor (69 dB)
- Kobalt Quiet Tech 4.3-Gallon (65 dB)
- Campbell Hausfeld Portable Quiet (DC080500) Air Compressor (68 dB)
- Matika MAC2400 Big Bore (79 dB)
Here is a quick look how these air compressors compare:-
1. California Air Tools 2010A
- Ultra Quiet only 60 Decibels
- Oil-Free Pump for Less Maintenance & Costs
- 2.0 Gallon (Rust Free) Aluminum Tank
The California air tools 2010A air compressor is a highly recommended air compressor for people looking for the best quiet air compressor.
California 2010A is one of the quietest air compressors in the market. The decibel rating of this model is 60 dB only. Effectively, the sound level is like that of having a normal conversation.
The model comes with a 2 gallons Aluminum tank. This can be perfect for people who require an air compressor to inflate tires and balls. This can also be used for doing lighter tasks that do not require much time.
This California model comes with an oil-free pump. This means that you will save money and will never have to worry about changing the oil. The pump operates on a Dual Piston System that ensures the best performance.
The compressor weighs only 35 pounds, therefore it is very easy to move around. You can easily carry it to use anywhere you need.
It has a powerful 1.0 HP motor that operates at just 1680 RPM. As a result, you will experience less noise. This also means that the components will wear less.
The motor works on a life cycle of 3000 per hour. Therefore, the unit will be more durable and long-lasting.
However, some users have complained about incidents of oil spilling. But it can be adjusted by tightening the fitting. It operates at 40 psi and 125 psi, the maximum PSI is less than 200 psi.
This is a great air compressor for those who need to use a quiet air compressor in a small space. It comes with a 1-year limited warranty.
- Very quiet-60 dB
- Oil-free pump
- 6 times longer life cycle
- 10 CFM at 40 PSI 2.20 CFM at 90 PSI
- 2-Gallons tank may be small for you
- Occasional complaints of leaking
2. DEWALT D55140 Max Trim Compressor
- Heavy-duty 1-gallon trim compressor with protective roll cage
- 135 psi maximum, durable oil-free pump, low 71 dB rating, low 2.6 amp motor
- Includes 1 compressor; hose & nailer not included
If you are looking for a smaller air compressor that is quiet and very affordable, the DEWALT Max Trim is for you.
This DEWALT model is very small, just 9 inches wide, and has a compact design. At less than 25 pounds, it is very light-weight and therefore great for those looking for a portable air compressor.
Despite its small construction, this machine provides professional-grade performance. At just 69 dB, this is one of the quietest air compressors in the market.
However, it is not recommended to be used with power tools. It has a very small tank size of 1 gallon. Therefore, it is great for light and small tools.
The tank is heavy-duty and is built with the ‘roll cage’ design that makes it more stable and sturdy.
It comes with an oil-free pump. The motor works with 0.3 HP. It has a maximum pressure of 135 psi.
This unit is popular among homeowners and professionals because of its low price. Right now, it is available at less than $100 on Amazon.
Homeowners use this for DIY projects. The professionals like window installers, floor installers, and trim finishers use it because of its lighter weight and easy portability.
It comes with a premium quality guarantee of DEWALT. This air compressor is very easy to use and doesn’t require much maintenance. Moreover, it is very sturdy and durable.
It comes with a warranty of one year.
- Great construction
- Strong and durable
- Very light-weight
- Very quiet at 69 dB
- Easy to use
- Easy to maintain
- Easy to move around
- Very affordable
- Not useful with power tools
3. Kobalt Quiet Tech 4.3-Gallon (65 dB)
- This refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with all relevant accessories, and may arrive in a generic box
Kobalt Quiet Tech 4.3 Gallons is one of the best quiet air compressors in the market. The machines come with one of the largest sized tanks with the lowest sound decibels.
Low sound level and bigger tank size mean you can use this high-quality unit for powering large tools with the least noise.
Kobalt has a great reputation for providing air compressors with great performance and less decibel rating. Therefore, you can trust that the Quiet Tech will actually operate at a low noise level close to the noise level of a normal conversation.
The body of the compressor weight a little above 60 pounds. While this may seem heavy, the unit comes with a wheeled structure. This makes it very easy to move around. It also has a rubber handle that you can use for easy portability.
The machine works at a total of 150 PSI. It comes with twin electric tanks. The Kobalt compressor is great for operating nail guns including staple nailing guns, finish nailers as well as framing nail guns.
The motor works at 1.0 HP and has two oil-free strong pumps. This makes it environment-friendly and makes it easier for the user to maintain the compressor. Kobalt is very easy to operate. It comes with an integrated control panel featuring a regulator and one push coupler.
Moreover, the tanks have gauges that allow you to monitor the tank pressure as well as the outlet pressure. This helps you in keeping a check on the air levels of the compressor before or during the use.
There are, however, complaints of the unit overheating.
- Reasonable price
- Very easy to move around
- Bigger tank size
- Low sound levels
- Dual PSI and CFM
- Great for using with nail guns
- The unit overheats very fast which can be unsafe
4. Campbell Hausfeld Portable Quiet (DC080500) Air Compressor
- QUIET: The DC080500 air compressor is up to 50% quieter than comparable compressors, producing just 68 dBA which it makes the unit ideal for indoor and outdoor use
- VERSATILE: This compressor is perfect for inflation, hobby painting, stapling, fastening, nailing, and bolting projects
- DURABLE: The compressor's key components last up to four times longer due to its oil-free, maintenace free, dual piston pump
The Campbell Hausfeld Air Compressor is great for those who are looking for the best quiet air compressor with a large tank capacity.
DC080500 is available in two tank sizes- 6 gallons and 8 gallons. It allows you to use the compressor with power tools without having to refill it again and again.
When you are looking for quiet compressors, the most common problem is that they are available in smaller tank sizes only. The small sizes can limit the performance of your compressor. A smaller tank is sufficient for light tasks like nailing and stapling. But, a bigger tank will be needed to operate power tools. Moreover, for more continuous use, you will need a compressor with a bigger tank.
The 6-gallon tank of Campbell Hausfeld compressor is great to use with power tools and can be used for larger periods of time.
The unit operates at 2.4 CFM at a pressure of 90 psi. The maximum pressure for the Campbell compressor is less than 200 psi and rounds about to 150 psi.
Compared to the quality, and high-performance it is surprising that its decibel rating is 68 dB.
The motor has a dual-piston system that optimizes its performance. As a result, with a 1.0 HP motor, it performs 25% more than regular motors.
You can operate this compressor to perform heavy-duty tasks with the noise level close to a restaurant’s noise level.
The unit is very easy to use. Moreover, its oil-free pump makes it more cost-effective and low-maintenance.
It comes with a 1-year limited warranty. However, a lot of customers have complained about getting no response to repair requests.
- Bigger tank sizes 6-8 gallons
- Low Noise/Sound level 68 dB
- HP Motor 1.0 with dual-piston system
- 25% more performance than regular air compressors
- 50% more quiet than similar brands
- Perfect to use for power tools
- Complaints about poor customer service if it needs repair
5. Makita 2.5 HP Air Compressor
- Cast iron pump with Big Bore cylinder and piston is engineered to provide faster recovery time for improved performance
- Low AMP draw reduces incidences of tripped breakers at start up. The 4.2 gallon twin stacked tank sustains an operating pressure of 130 PSI, and delivers 40 PSI (4.8 CFM) and 90 PSI (4.2 CFM), enough for two nailers
- Pump is oil lubricated for cooler running temperatures and reduced wear. Built in thermal overload for additional motor protection. Compressor Oil (181122 A). 1/4 inches Universal Quick Coupler (447013 E)
Makita 2.5 HP air compressor comes with a compact design. The unit has a durable body with great design. In a cast-iron frame, it offers a big bore cylinder and twin tanks.
It has an efficient motor. Moreover, the innovative design allows heat to leave the unit quickly. This saves recovery time and the air compressor gets ready to be used in less time.
The twin tanks are 4.2 gallons each. This allows sufficient pressure for operating power tools without having to refill the tanks quickly.
Makita MAC2400 has a four-poles 2.5 HP motor. This allows the machine to operate up to a pressure of 130 psi.
The dual PSI can be used as required on two levels:
- 90 psi with 4.3 CFM
- 40 psi with 4.8 CFM
The structure of the Matika compressor is heavier in weight. But because of the ‘Roll Cage’ build, the machine is very sturdy and durable.
To make it more convenient to use, the compressor comes with a handle ball valve. Moreover, a tank-drain makes maintenance easier for the users.
We highly recommend the Makita air compressor for people working on construction and work sites due to its strong construction and durable roll cage design.
It comes with a built-in circuit breaker to avoid thermal overload after longer use. This improves the efficiency of the air compressor.
Now let’s talk about the sound quality of this air compressor. The unit has a decibel rating of 79 dB at the highest. It is loud as compared to the other units. For an air compressor that can be used on construction sites, the noise level is very good.
Makita is oil lubricated, and the lubrication further enhances its temperature regulation.
- Sturdy design
- Durable machine
- Temperature regulation
- Less recovery time
- Twin tanks with 4+ gallons
- Dual PSI and CFM
- Great for use at construction sites
- The noise level may seem high
How to Choose the Best Quiet Air Compressors?
To choose the best quiet air compressors, you need to understand how they function, and what makes them quiet. Then you have to look at some of the factors that can help you in deciding which air compressor is best suited for you.
What is a Quiet Air Compressor anyway?
The noise level of an air compressor can be known by its decibel rating.
Most of the air compressors in the market have a decibel rating ranging from 40 dB to 90 dB. The higher the decibel rating, the noisier the air compressor is going to be.
- 40 dB- (Library Noises)
An air compressor with 40 dB is considered to be the quietest air compressor. This could be ideal for people working in very small spaces.
- 60 dB- (Casual Conversation)
This is the most widely available decibel rating in air compressors. It is great for using inside the house or the garage.
- 80 dB- (Food Blender)
An air compressor with 80 dB will be very noisy. And using it for a long time can be annoying.
- 85+ dB- (Lawn Mower)
This decibel rating is a real health hazard. An air compressor with 80 to 90dB will be very noisy to use even in open spaces.
An air compressor with a decibel rating of less than 85 dB will be less noisy. To find the best air compressors in the market, you must look for ones with 40-60 dB ratings.
Why you need a quiet air compressor?
Having a quiet air compressor is not just important for keeping your work environment peaceful. It is also extremely important for your health.
Working with noisy air compressors or any other noisy equipment may cause headaches, hearing constant ringing noises and fatigue.
Hearing noises above 85 dB for too long can impact your hearing. Also, regularly working with noisy machines for long hours can lead to Noise-Induced Hearing Loss (NIHL).
Having the best quiet air compressor can enhance the quality of your working environment. It is also important for your healthy hearing.
Who needs a quiet air compressor?
For homeowners working inside the house, or in the garages, a quiet air compressor can be a big blessing. It is also great for professionals working in their offices, garages, and construction sites.
Using a quiet air compressor in any working environment can be great for everyone. We mean when you have the choice to get optimum performance with less noise, why not use it.
A quiet air compressor can be for anyone and everyone who uses an air compressor.
How to Choose the Best Air Compressor?
To choose the best air compressor, there are some factors that you need to consider.
1. Noise Level
When looking for the best quiet air compressor, look at the noise level. To learn about the noise level, you have to look at the decibel rating.
Here, it is important to understand how the noise level or decibel rating is measured. In most cases, the decibel levels are measured from a certain distance. Therefore, expect to feel the noise louder than stated when you are working right next to it.
To understand what a certain range will feel like, look below:
75+ dB: This will be too loud to call ‘Quiet.’
71 dB – 75 dB: Feels like a loud garbage disposal.
66 dB – 70 dB: Feels like a hairdryer.
61 dB – 65 dB: Feels like having a conversation in a restaurant.
55 dB – 60 dB: Feels like having a normal conversation at home.
Therefore, for the most comfortable experience, you should get the air compressor with the least decibel rating.
2. Tank Size
The tank size is an important factor when evaluating the performance of an air compressor. Most tanks range from 1 gallon to 30 gallons in size.
An air compressor with a large tank size means that you will not have to stop and refill the tank more often. Therefore, it is wise to get an air compressor with a large tank size.
However, when you are looking for a quiet air compressor, it is difficult to find one with a very large tank. The reason is that to fill a large tank in a reasonable time, you will need more power. And more power will result in more noise.
The quietest air compressors come with a tank size of 1 to 2 gallons. But they can be hard to use as you will have to fill the tank again and again. These can be a great choice if you need an air compressor for inflating purposes. However, for using power tools these will require constant refilling. That can be very frustrating.
You can find quiet air compressors with tank size up to 6 gallons. They wouldn’t be as quiet as the ones with smaller tanks. But they will avoid a lot of work for you.
It is therefore important to check that the tank size is appropriate for your requirements. Otherwise, you may get a quiet air compressor and still won’t like its performance.
3. Air Compressor’s PSI
Pounds per square inch of pressure psi is the measure of the air pressure generated inside the tank of an air compressor.
Depending on what you need the air compressor for, the psi is an important factor to consider.
If you need a heavy-duty air compressor for operating power tools, look for one with 150 psi or more.
However, if you want an air compressor for pneumatic tools and nail guns, look for one with 90 psi.
In simple words, more psi will mean a more powerful performance.
Most commonly, you will find compressors with 90 psi. However, a high-quality compressor will offer two options for PSI and two options of CFM. These compressors can be used if you need to perform multiple types of projects.
4. Air Compressor’s CFM
Cubic feet per minute (CFM) is the measurement of the work an air compressor can perform at a time.
To determine the performance of an air compressor, the CFM is measured relative to the air compressor’s PSI.
The higher the value, the better the performance. Air compressors with greater CFM value will be great if you want to use it with power tools.
In simple words, it means that you will be able to finish more work in less time. This also means that your work will be finished before you have to refill the tank.
For powering small and light tools, you can use an air compressor with 3.0 CFM. While for a workshop or garage where you need a quiet air compressor for many tools, 4.0 to 5.0 CFM can work well.
5. Oil Pumps VS Oil-Free Pumps
Another important factor to consider when choosing the best quiet air compressor for you is the pump. Air compressors come with pumps that require oil and pumps that do not require oil. Both types of pumps have their own pros and cons.
Let us take a look.
- These pumps require oil to be replaced after some time.
- This means you will have to keep track of the levels and change oil needed.
- This will also mean that you will have to spend time getting oil and maintain the unit.
- The oil pumps are very long-lasting. They can be a lifetime investment.
- The best benefit of the oil-free pumps is that you will not have to change the oil at all.
- The oil within the pump is sealed so it would not need replacement.
- There is a Teflon coating on the components to ensure they need less lubrication.
- This means your air compressors will not require much maintenance.
- This will reduce the cost of oil and maintenance.
- Oil-free pumps are not as durable as the Teflon coating can get worn with time.
- They will last for a decade without requiring any oil-change.
Now that you know the difference between an oil pump and an oil-free pump, you can decide what to look for when buying an air compressor.
Your budget will also be an important factor when buying an air compressor. However, make sure that you choose one that fulfills your requirements. It is also recommended to look for a compressor with a good warranty.
What is the quietest air compressor?
A quiet air compressor is an air compressor that performs making less noise as compared to the regular air compressors.
There are a lot factors that contribute to the noise level of an air compressor. The best way to know about the noise level of an air compressor is to look at the decibel rating of the machine. However, do remember that the decibel rating on a machine is measured from a certain distance. It can feel different in experience when you are working right next to the air compressor.
A regular air compressor operates with a lot of noise. A quiet air compressor is specially designed to keep the noise level low.
To find the best air compressors in the market, you must look for ones with 40-60 dB ratings.
An air compressor operating above 85 dB will be too loud and working with it for more thann8 hours can be a health hazard.
Which is the quietest 60-gallon air compressor?
As we have mentioned earlier, larger tank sizes are not available are air compressors that are designed to be quieter. But for handling bigger tasks and industrial uses, most people need an air compressor with a 60-gallon air tank.
Fortunately, there are some brands that operate at a much quieter level compared to others in the market.
Here are some of the best options for quiet 60-gallon air compressors.
- Quincy QT-54 Splash Lubricated Reciprocating Air Compressor
- Ingersoll Rand 2340L5 Two-stage Air Compressor
- Puma Industries Pk-6060V Single-stage Air Compressor
- Industrial-duty US-made Baldor motor
- Capacitor start motor with built-in thermal overload
- Less than 5 PPM oil carry-over (blow-by) rating
- Gas-powered air compressor with Baldor motor.
- Durable design with quiet industrial-grade performance
- Works at 145-175 PSI and 1310 RPM.
- Built-in thermal overload to prevent overheating.
Ingersoll Rand 2340L5
- Long-Life: Durable cast iron construction, long-lasting extended pump life designed for over 15,000 hours of trouble-free use
- Maximum Power and Flexibilty: 100% continuous duty, 5 hp 2-stage air compressor, 175 psig maximum operating pressure and a 60 ASME reciever tank provide plenty of punch for the most demanding applications
- Easy to Service: Individually cast cylinders, overhung crankshaft and one piece connecting rod simplifies maintenance and service
- Electrically driven machine designed for industrial use.
- Requires minimal maintenance due to exquisitely engineered model.
- Maximum PSI is 175 and motor works at 5.0 HP.
- Overhung crankshaft ensures a seamless and quiet performance.
Puma Industries Pk-6060V
- Oil lubricated, single stage cast iron pump
- Portable units feature built-in pressure regulator and quick coupler for pressure control of outlet air
- 1/2" outlet ball valve and 1/4" drain ball valve on 60 gallon vertical tank
- Oil-lubricated pump with a single cast iron body.
- The splash lubrication allows it to perform quietly.
- The motor works at 3 HP and the maximum PSI is 135.
- Extremely durable and easy portability.
What is the best air compressor on the market?
California 2010A (Amazon link) is one of the best air compressors on the market.
The air compressor has a great design and performs really quietly. The decibel rating is only 60 dB that feels like having a normal conversation.
The air compressor is great for smaller tasks and is a great purchase for homeowners. Professionals can also use it of the task does not require much time and frequent refilling.
The tank size is 2 gallons. The tank is made of aluminum and is very sturdy.
The pump is oil-free and is very easy to maintain. It operates with a Dual Piston System that enhances the performance of the unit.
It is a great choice for people looking for a quiet air compressor that is easily portable. The unit weighs only 35 pounds.
The motor works with 1.0 Horsepower. The air compressor operates at 1680 RPM. The RPM contributes to the quiet operation and also ensures that your air compressor doesn’t wear down fast. Therefore, it is long-lasting and durable.
Can you make an air compressor quieter?
If you have already bought a compressor and are worried because of the noise, there are some ways to make an air compressor quieter.
Any compressor that makes a noise ranging above 85 dB would be very noisy.
While the decibel rating is an important factor to tell you about the noise level, it may not always be enough. An air compressor that is specially designed to be quiet will sound a lot better than a regular compressor.
Therefore, a quiet air compressor with a 79 dB rating will sound much quieter than a regular air compressor with 79 dB.
Now, let us talk about ways to make a regular compressor quieter:
- You can make your compressor quitter by installing rubber on the motor of the compressor. Rubber is great for sound absorption and sound insulation. By installing a rubber grommet on some parts of the compressor, you can reduce its noise. I am linking you to Amazon to find a great affordable set of rubber grommets (Amazon) that works well for air compressors.
- Another great way to reduce the noise of an air compressor is to put a muffler on the air intake. You can reduce the noise level up to 4 dB with this method.
To do this, you will require:
- Air hose x 2
Connect the intake to one end of the hose. To the other end of the hose connect a muffler. Then repeat with another hose.
We hope these methods will help you in reducing the noise level of your air compressors.
Buying a quiet air compressor will not just enhance your working experience, but will also be a great investment for your health and safety. For buying the best quiet air compressor in the market, look for units that have a low decibel rating.
Make sure that the tank size of the compressor you choose is perfect for your requirements. If you already have an air compressor but are not happy with the noise, we have listed some methods that you can use to muffle the noise. We hope this article will help you in purchasing the best air compressor that is quiet and high-performing.