Noisy air conditioners can make your indoor home or car environment uncomfortable.
Although you can use sound-deadening materials to eliminate noise in your van or home, they are ineffective for air conditioners. Therefore, you need a quiet window and portable air conditioner for a peaceful, relaxed house or car.
The best quiet window and portable air conditioner is the Soleus Air Exclusive Air Conditioner (view it on Amazon). The Soleus Air Exclusive has a 49 decibels (dB) noise level at the highest air CFM. It also has a saddle design that fits perfectly on the window.
In the rest of this article, I’ll discuss the four best quiet window and portable air conditioners. Let’s get started!
Best Quiet Window and Portable Air Conditioners
As an affiliate, I may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Here are the best quiet and portable air conditioners available in the market.
1. Soleus Air Exclusive Air Conditioner (Best Overall)
One of the main challenges when looking for a quiet window and portable air conditioner is getting one that doesn’t obscure your view of the outside world. Most window air conditioners are large and might cover the entire window.
The Soleus Air Exclusive is your go-to option if you’re looking for a quiet and portable window air conditioner that doesn’t cover your entire window. This air conditioner has a saddle design that allows you to slide it up and down the window without minimizing or obscuring your view.
The Soleus Air Exclusive also has a noise level of 49 dB at the highest air cubic feet per minute (CFM) of 270. This makes it one of the market’s quietest window and portable air conditioners. You can also set it to the lowest air CFM of 170, which produces 38 dB of noise.
- Sufficient cooling power. The air conditioner generates 6,000 British Thermal Units (BTU) of cooling power at maximum speed. This power is enough to cool up to 275 square feet (25.54 sq m).
- It’s energy-efficient. With the cost of electricity averaging 14.6 cents per kilowatt-hour (kWh), you need an air conditioner that doesn’t use excessive electricity. The Soleus Air Exclusive has an energy efficiency ratio of 12.1, which is suitable for households. It also has an energy-saving mode.
- Low noise levels. The air conditioner has a maximum of 49 dB noise level. This is suitable for your indoor life.
- Comfort fit. The saddle design enables the air conditioner to fit even on 11-inch (279.4 mm) windows without obstruction.
- Remote-activated. You can regulate the AC from the comfort of your couch using a remote.
- It’s expensive. The saddle design and energy efficiency make the Soleus air conditioner a bit pricey.
- You might need an extension cord. The power cord is only six feet (1.82 m) long, which might not be long enough for some windows. You can buy an extension cord to solve this problem.
- It’s not a well-known brand. The Soleus Air Exclusive is not famous like TOSOT and Haier. Thus, it might not have the same level of customer support.
2. Shinco Air Conditioner (Best with inbuilt Dehumidifier)
According to Healthline, a dehumidifier makes breathing easier for asthmatic and allergic people. Therefore, apart from creating a conducive indoor temperature, you need a dehumidifier to make your air breathable.
The Shinco air conditioner is one of the best quiet window and portable air conditioners with an inbuilt dehumidifier. This combination saves you the cost of buying a standalone dehumidifier.
The Shinco 8,000 BTU is a quiet AC unit with an easy-to-fit window-mount exhaust kit. It also has an inbuilt dehumidifier that removes up to 40 pints (18.93 liters) of moisture daily. The dehumidifier function can be turned on and off independently from the air conditioner.
- Versatile. The Shinco air conditioner is a versatile unit that functions as an air conditioner, fan, and dehumidifier.
- It’s easy to install. The air conditioner comes with an exhaust kit and an adjustable window bracket, making installation a breeze. You can also use the included remote control to change settings.
- It is suitable for places with high humidity. If you live somewhere with high humidity, this AC will make your indoor life comfortable by removing excessive moisture from the air. It also comes in handy in winter.
- Low noise output. The Shinco air conditioner has a low noise output of less than 55 dB. Thus, you can sleep or work in the room without being disturbed by the sound of the AC.
- It’s not energy-efficient. The Shinco air conditioner is not as energy-efficient as other models on this list. Its 3-in-1 functionality requires more electricity. For instance, dehumidification uses a lot of power to condense the humid air.
- Must be placed near a window to work. The AC needs to be placed near a window so that the hot air can be exhausted outside. Therefore, it’s not a good option if your window is small.
3. Black + Decker Air Conditioner (For Small Rooms)
Space is always a consideration that limits most homeowners when buying home appliances. Most air conditioners are large and cumbersome, making it challenging to fit in small rooms.
The Black + Decker air conditioner is a compact, lightweight AC that is perfect for small rooms. The unit dimensions are 16.5 x 11.5 x 26 inches (419.1 x 292.1 x 660.4 mm), which makes it one of the smallest air conditioners on the market and easy to carry around.
It’s extra quiet and has a sleep mode that makes it ideal for bedroom use. The unit also has an LED remote control that makes it easy to change settings.
The adjustable fan cools the air to 65°F (18.33°C). Such a cooling temperature makes this air conditioner one of the best for summer. You have the freedom to vary the fan’s cooling capacity to suit your needs.
- It’s small and lightweight. The air conditioner can cool up to 150 square feet. This is an ideal range for smaller rooms like dorms, campers, cabins, and apartments.
- It’s very affordable. The Black + Decker air conditioner is one of the most affordable units on this list. Therefore, it’s a great option if you’re on a budget.
- Is extra quiet. The AC has a sleep mode that makes it ideal for use in bedrooms. It also comes with an LED remote control, making it easy to change settings.
- The cooling capacity is not powerful enough for larger rooms. A cooling capacity of up to 150 square feet (13.93 sq m) is unsuitable for larger rooms. Therefore, this will not serve you well if you have a large house.
- It can be challenging to find a replacement filter. The Black + Decker air conditioner uses a unique filter that is not easy to find in the market. As a result, you might have to buy the filter from the manufacturer.
- Is not energy-efficient. The AC uses 115 volts of electricity, which is not energy-efficient. This will cause a significant increase in your electric bill if you use this unit regularly.
4. TOSOT ASHRAE Air Conditioner
The TOSOT Ashrae AC is your go-to option if your primary concern is a powerful cooling capacity. The unit can cool up to 300 square feet (27.87 sq m), which is more than enough for most houses. Apart from the 8,000 BTUs of cooling power, the unit is ASHRAE-rated, making it safer for home use.
The AC uses a UL-certified motor that is not only powerful but also safer. Depending on your cooling needs, the unit has three speeds that you can choose from.
The AC also has a dehumidifier function that removes up to 2.3 pints (1.09 liters) of moisture hourly. Such an impressive dehumidification capacity makes this one of the best air conditioners for summer.
- Has a powerful cooling capacity. The AC can cool up to 300 square feet (27.87 sq m), which is large enough for more extensive houses.
- Is ASHRAE-rated. ASHRAE-rated means the unit was subjected to up-to-date hardware design, testing, and installation.
- It has an impressive dehumidification capacity. The AC can remove up to 55.2 pints (26.12 liters) of moisture daily. This is excellent if you live in dewy areas.
- Low noise levels. You can sleep well as the unit produces minimal noise. Moreover, it has a sleeping function that adjusts the temperature for a comfortable night’s sleep.
- It’s portable. The TOSOT ASHRAE AC is small and can fit in your car’s boot if traveling. Therefore, you don’t have to worry about an AC unit wherever you go.
- It incorporates X-fan technology. The X-fan technology evenly distributes cool air in the room for maximum comfort.
- Easy to install. You can install this air conditioner on vertical or horizontal sliding windows. This increases the installation options and where you can use it. Furthermore, it has a longer exhaust hose that can extend up to 58.8 inches (1493.52 mm).
- Versatile. The unit comes in 3-in-1 as it serves as an AC, a dehumidifier, and a fan. Thus, it serves homeowners better as opposed to a single-function AC.
- The AC is expensive. The TOSOT ASHRAE AC is one of the most expensive units on this list. Therefore, you must factor in the cost before making a purchase.
- It’s not energy-efficient. This unit uses 1,050 watts of power, which is not energy-efficient. As a result, you have to be prepared for high energy bills if this is your preferred option.
- It’s heavy. Although small for portability, the AC weighs 55 pounds (24.95 kilograms), which is quite heavy. This might be a problem if you’re looking for a lighter AC that a child can carry.
The Soleus Air Exclusive Air Conditioner is in its own safety and whisper-quiet operation class. Its saddle design and smaller size make it the best window and portable air conditioner. Thus, you can rest assured of a comfortable indoor environment free of noise with this unit.